Banner

Orchard Girls

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: Dollar Store Fall Garland

Happy Thursday! I have a super fun, easy, AND cheap fall project to share with you today! I picked up a few things at the dollar store the other day, hoping to be inspired. I bought a pack of their leaf doilies- 32 to a pack. I then remembered that I strung these doilies on string last year to make a really pretty and delicate garland. So, I decided to do it again this year- but with a little something extra.
Here are the supplies I used:
-dollar store leaf doilies
-dollar store natural raffia
-acrylic paints
-letter stamps
-paint brush/sponge
-paper plates, paper towels, and a small cup of water

And here is what I did:
1. Divided up the doilies. They kind of clumped together, and I just went with the clumps. I didn't separate each individual doily- they are really really thin! So, each clump probably has 4 to 5 doilies in it. 
2. Mixed my paint colors. Painted it onto the stamps and stamped each doily with alternating colors.
3. After the paint dried, I strung each leaf onto 2 strands of raffia (tied together in the middle). The end!

This is one of my favorite projects I've done recently! It turned out so cute- and you really can't beat the price! It also gets me in the mood to put up my fall decorations.
Let us know, when do you put up your fall decorations? I don't want to be too early, but I'm so ready!

Hope you all are having an amazing day!

As always, check out our Link Party Directory to see the parties we link to!

17 comments:

  1. Where did you get the grass/hay/whatever it is fall floral in the vase from? That's exactly what I envisioned for my shelf...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alyssa! My husband brought the hay home from one of his growers (he works in agriculture) who actually grows hay! He said he just "knew" I'd want some for my fall decorating, lol! I've seen similar things at craft stores though, so maybe you can find some there :)
      -Kenzie

      Delete
    2. The real thing...lucky girl. I'll have to do some craft store hunting soon, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Love the autum garland! I just noticed your cover photo. The picture at the end. That's the same pattern I love using in my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that pattern, too! It's so pretty! Thanks, Rosario!
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  3. Cute Cute idea!! The got the pumpkin garland at DT the other day...thought about getting the leaves...looks like I just might be going back.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the pumpkin ones and thought about getting them, might make a halloween garland out of those. At a dollar, its hard to say no! Thanks for stopping by, Linda!
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  4. So love this! I just love the dollar store. My mantle definitely needs this garland! Stopping by from Creative Geekery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenifer! Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you liked the post, I hope you get a chance to make it for your mantle :)
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  5. That is beautiful! I love it! It looks simple too. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Paula! It IS simple- super easy and cheap!
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  6. Hello! I am stopping by via katherine's corner Thursday blog hop! I have enjoyed reading your blog and am now following you! Just thought I'd let you know! :)

    Sarah Ortiz

    www.theortizs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah! Thanks for the support and for stopping by. We really appreciate it!
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  7. What a cute and easy project. That dollar store is just full of inspiration. Found you thru the Meet and Greet Blog Hop. Now following via GFC. Hope you can stop by my blog as well.

    Anne Marie
    moanasuniquedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! We love the dollar store! Thanks for stopping by, we will definitely come check out your blog and follow along, too. Have a great day!
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  8. Greeting from South Texas! I grew up in Eastern Washington, so seeing your blog reminds me of home.. our house always smelled like fresh picked apples in the fall, as my dad's friends would bring over boxes upon boxes straight from the orchards. We got all the wonderful Washington crop, every season (cherries from Wenatchee, apples, onions and potatoes from Warden, corn, jalepenos, tomatoes that my uncle from Sunnyside grows on his farm and sells at the Moses Lake Farmer's Market..anyhoo ok I'm rambling. Thank you for bringing "home" into my house!
    So my question is, where do you find the paint and stamps? I will be making this to put on our mantle! So excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's so awesome! I'm glad we can bring "home" to your house. :) Kayla and I were just talking about how much we love the smell of the orchard. The paint and stamps just came from a local craft store. I think Kayla found the stamps on clearance for a couple bucks- and the paint is just plain ol' acrylic paint.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      -Kenzie

      Delete

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...